It’s almost that time again. School shopping, routine making, early to bed sleeping, lunchbox making time. When it comes to lunch, sometimes we can feel like we are in a rut before we even start. So, I am here to help with back to school lunchbox ideas!
Move over sandwich. I know you are easy to make and pretty likeable. But, c’mon, you are a bit boring. Kids like to find a little fun hidden in their lunchbox. Don’t be scared Momma, as much as I love playing with cookie cutters, I am not suggesting that you cut every sandwich into a star or heart (although both are really cute). I just want to give you some fun ideas to spruce up the lunchbox, while keeping things simple.
Let me introduce the very versatile tortilla. Yep, you read that right. This little guy can be served so many ways. I enjoyed sharing some of these ideas on Great Day Houston this morning.
First things first, the type of tortilla does count. These are the ingredients you will find in a typical white store bought tortilla:
Enriched bleached wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, vegetable shortening (interesterified soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil and/or palm oil), contains 2% or less of: salt, sugar, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum sulfate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate and/or sodium acid pyrophosphate, calcium sulfate), preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid, and/or citric acid), distilled monoglycerides, enzymes, wheat starch, calcium carbonate, antioxidants (tocopherols, ascorbic acid), cellulose gum, dough conditioners (fumaric acid, sodium metabisulfite and/or mono- and diglycerides).
I recommend replacing that choice with one of these:
Ezekiel 4:9 Organic Sprouted Grain Tortillas
Sprouted Grain, Yeast Free, High in Fiber
Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Sea Salt
Benefits of Sprouted Grain:
- Increased Digestibility – Sprouting breaks down starches in grains into simple sugars so your body can digest them easily.
- Increased Absorption of Minerals – Sprouting breaks down enzyme inhibitors, so your body can more easily adsorb calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc.
- Increased Antioxidants – Sprouting releases more antioxidants that are naturally stored in the grains and seeds.
- Increased Vitamin C – Sprouting produces vitamin C.
- Increased Vitamin B – Sprouting increases the vitamin B2, B5 & B6
Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas
Wheat-Free, Yeast-Free, Gluten-Free
Brown Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Tapioca Flour, Safflower oil, Rice Bran, Vegetable Gum (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose), Sea Salt
The ideas are endless, but here are some of my favorites:
- Pizza (avoid it turning soggy, pack like a lunchable and allow the kids to create their own)
- Quesadillas (I made a cheese, shredded chicken and mango one for the show today)
- Breakfast wrap (breakfast is good anytime)
- Baked for chips (plain tortilla or chili cheese *see recipe below)
- Soft tacos
- Crunchy tacos
- Strips for soup (make good use of your thermos)
- Sandwich wrap (add a little more flair by rolling and cutting into pin wheels, sushi veggie rolls served with chop sticks or flowers by adding a cake pop stick)
Sans the tortilla, you can also add sandwich fixings to a kabob stick or simply wrap your deli meat around a cheese stick for a breadless sandwich.
In addition to those goodies, here are some additional lunchbox ideas:
- Roasted seaweed snacks
- Chia seed pudding cups
- Chia seed squeeze snacks
- Dried fruit
- Trial mix
Homemade Chili Cheese Chips
Hope these tips help you feel a little more ready to take on the lunchbox this year. Keep it fun, keep it simple and follow along all of my social media channels for continued inspiration. Together, we’ve got this! BUT, WAIT – one more thing!
I need your help! Do you watch Home & Family on the Hallmark Channel? They are looking for a guest cook and I have thrown my hat in the ring. I’d love your vote and would appreciate you sharing my video! I’ll make sure and keep you posted. Check it out here.